Welcome to Road and Bridge. Road and Bridge is a very important part of Callaway County. The departments daily activities include maintaining 820 miles of roads, building bridges, replacing culverts, mowing, and removing snow during the winter. Road and Bridge has 35 employees, 10 grader operators, 9 truck drivers, 5 members of the bridge crew, 4 members of the road crew, 1 mechanic, and 4 mowers.
Callaway County Stormwater Management Plan for the Unincorporated Urbanized Area
Because the areas in and around Jefferson City/Holts Summit have a population density of 1,000 people per square mile, this portion of unincorporated Callaway County is considered an “urbanized area”, as defined by the United States Census Bureau. As such, this portion of the County is a regulated Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) and must obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) stormwater discharge permit. The County’s MS4 permit was renewed in October 2021 and the County has recently developed an updated Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP) for the applicable areas. This plan addresses all six minimum control measures:
- Public Outreach and Education
- Public Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Runoff Control
- Good Housekeeping in Municipal (County) Operations
Current Callaway County SWMP: Callaway County SWMP 6-23-22
Map of Urbanized Area: Callaway County UA-MS4 Map
Stormwater Regulations: Storm Water Regulations
Property Owner Tips for Improving Water Quality
When rain (or snow) falls and runs off from an area, it is collected by catch basins (stormwater inlets), pipes, and ditches where it is then conveyed to our local streams, ponds, lakes and rivers without being treated. Property owners can play a key role in protecting our waterways from stormwater pollution. The majority of pollution in urban waterways can be linked to our everyday activities. Things you can do to keep our waterways clean:
- Properly dispose of paint, used oil, household chemicals and yard waste
- Carefully apply fertilizers and pesticides (minimize use)
- Wash vehicles at commercial car washes or on pervious surfaces
- Properly maintain vehicles – minimize drips!
- Pick up pet waste
- Maintain septic tanks and other on-site wastewater treatment
- Repair/prevent erosion
- Sweep up excess salt from driveways/sidewalks after snow event
- Properly dispose of trash/litter
Report if you see any dumping into storm drains or ditches:
Callaway County Road & Bridge
2023 Callaway Dust Control Permit
For dust control contractor pricing contact the company below:
- Contact: Beth Ross
- Telephone: 573-303-7711 or 800-844-2022
- Address: 12980 Metcalf Ave. STE 240
Overland Park, KS 66213
Each year the bridge crew replaces 2- 4 bridges that are on the State of Missouri deficient bridge list.
Updates on Road repair Call Paul Winkelmann at 642-0740.
Paul Winkelmann, Road and Bridge
- 5901 County Road 302 Fulton
- Telephone: 573-642-0740
- Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
COUNTY OF CALLAWAY, MISSOURI – PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE: Callaway County will be submitting an application no later than April 3, 2021 to seek coverage under Missouri Department of Natural Resources General Permit MOR04C. The County of Callaway is soliciting comments for the County’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit renewal. A public meeting will be held on Thursday, March 18, 2021 at the Callaway County Courthouse, 10 East 5th Street, Fulton, MO 65251 at 9:00 a.m. The meeting will be an open house to receive comments with no formal presentation. Comments will be received until March 31, 2021. A copy of the County’s Stormwater Management Plan can be found on the County’s website www.callawaycounty.org. The general permit may be viewed at https://dnr.mo.gov/env/wpp/permits/issued/docs/R04C000.pdf. Questions and comments regarding the permit renewal can be directed to Paul Winkelmann, County Highway Administrator, 573-642-0740.
Callaway County Stormwater Management Plan
Road & Bridge Bids:
- All bids are processed through the Callaway County Purchasing Agent’s office. Please contact that office at: (573) 826-3802, https://callawaycounty.org/purchasing-office/
- Vendors will have to register to see the bids: https://www.publicpurchase.com/gems/callawayco,mo/buyer/public/home
- For any bid information please contact the Callaway County Purchasing office.